Tuesday, May 3, 2011

One Year Ago Today...

Well today's the "big" day...my little girl is 1 YEAR OLD!!! 
I thought it would be nice to re-post my birth story.  I did this post once before, but it just seems like a sentimental thing to do today.  Plus it's my blog and I'll do what I want :)

So here's how it all went down.....

My original due date was May 4, 2010.  On Saturday May 1st, I was having a lot more Braxton Hicks contractions and just wasn't feeling "right".  That evening I lost a part of my plug (we'll just keep it at that).  Now for those who don't know, losing your plug could mean you'll go into labor in a few hours, days, or weeks.  But since I hadn't been feeling right, I told Edwin "you may want to get ready because I think something's going to happen soon."  Everything was fine Sunday (the 2nd), then about 3am Monday morning I started feeling some light cramping.  It was nothing bad, I was able to sleep right through it.  I woke up to get ready for work around 6:30 and noticed the pains had gotten a little worse, but they were coming at random times.  I figured I'd just rest a little and go in to work a little late...riiiiight.  Around 7am the contractions started coming consistently, but they weren't close enough together or strong enough to go to the hospital.  With every half hour that went by they got closer together and STRONGER.  By about 9:30am I was yelling for Edwin to call the doctor's office because it was time to go....NOW.  It was all I could do to put on some sweat pants and a t shirt in between contractions.  I'm pretty sure I looked like death by that point.  They wanted me to come in, so we grabbed our bags and hit the road. That was the most excruciating car ride of my life! 

I used to ask people "how will I know if I'm in labor"....wow what a dumb question!  So we drove to the doctor's office and I drug myself in, stopping and almost dropping to my knees with each contraction.  I think I terrified every pregnant woman in the waiting room.  I was proud of myself for staying so calm and not screaming at anyone, but it took a lot of restraint on my part.  They made me do all the triage mess (weight, BP, etc...) not realizing I was in active labor.  That did NOT make me happy.  When they finally checked me I was 3 cm and they sent me straight to Rex. 

Once we got to Rex and they wheeled me up, they asked me my pain level 1-10.  I finally got the word "T-E-N" out of my mouth and they bypassed triage and got me straight to a room.  It was about 11:30am by the time I was in my room.  I fought through more contractions for a few hours then my best friend finally came - MY EPIDURAL!  That was the most amazing, wonderful, awesome thing ever.  Within 15 mins I couldn't feel anything from the waist down...bliss!  Besides barfing in a plastic beaker a few times, I felt fabulous.  They checked me around 3pm and I was already 7 cm.  I started feeling some serious pressure around 4pm and it gradually got worse to the point where it was painful.  I had some visitors, but close to 5pm I told the nurse I really needed her to check me because I was feeling sooo much pressure.  She told my last visitor to wait outside for a second.  She checked me then stuck her head out the door and said "sorry, you can't come in.  we're having a baby, NOW".  I was already 10cm and ready to push.  I started pushing around 5:10pm and it was actually a fun time (yeah I know how weird that sounds).  My Mom had one leg, Edwin had the other, an episode of The Office was on the flat screen TV in front of me, and my nurse was awesome and hilarious.  We laughed through most of the pushing.  She told me to stop about 5:45pm (easier said than done by the way) and the doctor came in.  I was so happy it was my favorite doctor, Dr. Gunter.  Then Peyton Dawn Killette was born May 3rd at 6:08pm weighing 6lbs 8oz (kinda neat with the 6's and 8's). One day before her actual due date :)

I'll spare everyone the rest of the details, although it doesn't bother me to talk about it at all.  Everyone was right when they said you'll lose all modesty once you have a baby.  They could have invited the entire hospital to watch the birth and I wouldn't have cared at that point!  I'm so glad I was able to have a vaginal delivery, they make for some really entertaining stories :)  So that's how I finally got to meet the most beautiful baby girl on the planet and the love of my life! 

1 comment: