Tuesday, November 22, 2011

WHAT??? Only One???

Why is it that any time I mention that I may only want ONE child, I get the same crazy shocked look from people?  "Only one, are you sure?"  "But Peyton will be lonely"  "Don't you want a sibling for her"...good grief, let it go! 

Now I'm not 100% sure that I only want 1 child, but I'm not 100% sure that I want more than 1 either.  I myself am an only child (feel free to gasp now), and as crazy as it may sound I really enjoyed being an only child.  I wasn't lonely and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.  Actually when I went to stay with friends that had brothers and/or sisters, I was usually ready to come home to some peace and quiet.  It was fun for a few hours, then I was over it. 

And believe it or not, I was not spoiled rotten.  I worked from high school on with a break my freshman year in college so I could adjust (plus freshman parking was impossible).  I worked and I appreciated the things I was given. 

I just hate the stigma that's given to only children.  Just because you're an only child doesn't mean you're a brat and it doesn't mean you're sad and lonely.  I also can't stand the blank stares like I'm completely insane for even mentioning the possibility of not having a 2nd child!  I haven't tossed out the possibility at all, I'm even leaning towards it some days but there's nothing wrong with either decision. 

I'll step down from my soap box now!

3 comments:

  1. IF we have children, we will only be having one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you!! I get the same crazy look and gasps when I say that we're not having another. It's like everyone should want to have 20!

    ReplyDelete