Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Terrible" Two's

It's been almost a week since I last posted.  I've just been so busy!  Work was insane last week, the hubby was on his week of evenings/nights, I've been packing for mine and Peyton's beach trip, and taking care of a sick husband.  Whew, I'm tired! 

I learned something interesting this weekend.  The "terrible two's" (I hate that phrase by the way)  actually begin in the 2nd year of life...not after the 2nd birthday.  So it technically begins not long after the 1st birthday.  How did I learn this you may ask?  Duh, Google of course.  And why did I Google this information?  Because my child has definitely entered that phase. 

Don't get me wrong, she's a happy wonderful child 80-90% of the time....but the other 20-10% has really kicked up over the past week or so.  Diaper changes have become exhausting (although I MAY have found the answer to that issue!), she has started trying to climb out of shopping carts when we go places, but mostly it's just frustration that she can't tell me what she wants all the time.  She throws awesome tantrums, I swear they come pre-wired to know exactly how to throw one!  If I try to pick her up, she goes spaghetti limp on me.  If I'm holding her, she arches her back and tightens up.  I've gotten really good at just ignoring her, and she's done in 30 seconds or so.  Thankfully we haven't had any public tantrums yet.  I  can usually preoccupy her when we're out and feel one about to come on. 

It's safe to say I have a strong-willed child.  But I must admit, I love that about her the majority of the time.  I hope she keeps that personality as she gets older and continues to fight for what she wants.  She's my little firecracker.  She never ceases to amaze me...or wear me out!  I just have to prep myself for yet another new stage of toddler hood!


  1. tell me about it!! eden has learned that tantrums don't work (we leave the room.)... and we're working on "using your words" and signs... but i find myself saying "eden, does that work for you when you do that?" or "does that help you get what you want?" ... she's begun fighting her naps and just pile on top a stupid summer cold. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for preschool next week.

  2. I'm so glad you cleared that up. I just thought we were entering into the terrible twos early! haha! Claire has some crazy tantrums as well...the other day when she threw one and I walked into the kitchen she got up and followed me into the kitchen to throw finish her tantrum. haha! So funny these girls!